As I pass my 900th hit (!) on my blog in 5 months, my blog publisher (wordpress.com) listed articles in other blogs. This one came up and I had to look. “The Top 10 Things You Should Never Discuss Online” by someone named Aaron. http://listverse.com/2009/11/18/top-10-things-you-should-never-discuss-online
It’s a great article and he has reasons for every one of the subjects he lists. Here they are and how much my blog talks about them. Apparently, I’m living dangerously.
10. The Middle East Yup. Just this last one, plus many more.
9. Homosexuality Yup. My most read blog of all, plus a few others, in passing.
8. Jesus Christ Yup. All the time. Politics? They’re about Jesus. Ethics? Them, too.
7.Race Relations Yup. “On Gates and Race Relations” – an early one.
6. Abortion Yup. In passing, at least once.
5. Gun Control Nope. I dodged the bullet on this one, I kid you not.
4. The Holocaust Nope. Don’t know enough. Have nothing to say. Nazi-ism? Yup. Lots.
3. Politics Yup. Darn near every time.
2. Origins of Man Not my subject, not my field. OK, creation stories and their importance to our values? Yup. That one, a lot.
And the number one thing to not discuss on-line?…. (drum roll please…)
1. Religion Yup. Do-Your-Own-Theology, parts 1 – 6 or so…
What does this mean? At least three things. 1) Christians, ministers, and therapists get right into the mud on things all the time. 2) I have amazing readers. In all 900 hits, I think of only had 1 uncivil comment, by a guy who listens to Rush Limbaugh. I may have almost made an uncivil comment or two (sorry, Peter, maybe Linda), but generally, I continue to grow into the whole sharing-my-opinion-for-the-world-to-see thing because it feels safe. 3) Maybe America is changing… Perhaps it is possible to have a civilized conversation about important things! Wouldn’t that be cool?!